SD66 DFL Convention is March 27
Here is some information on what to expect at the convention of the newly-formed Senate District 66 DFL.
Date: Sunday, March 27, 2022
Location: Washington Technology Magnet School, 1495 Rice St, St Paul, MN 55117
Time: Registration begins at 10:30 AM. Gavel to order at 12:00 PM.
Among other things, the agenda will include:
- Endorsing candidates for Minnesota Senate and Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Voting on resolutions to send to the State DFL Convention to be considered as part of the DFL’s platform. Some resolutions may be debated, but mostly this includes looking over the list and voting for the ones that you agree with.
- Selecting delegates and alternates to the State DFL and 4th Congressional District (CD4) DFL Conventions. Delegates at the State DFL Convention will vote to endorse candidates for all the Minnesota Constitutional Offices – Governor, Lt Governor, Auditor, Secretary of State, and Attorney General. The people we elect as state delegates and alternates are also the delegates to the CD4 DFL Convention. It is at that convention where a DFL candidate for Congress will receive the DFL You will want to elect delegates that will support your candidates and policy goals.
- Hearing from DFL candidates and office holders. During the day, various DFL candidates and office holders will stop by and speak to the convention. They are traveling to many conventions that day, so they will speak at random times in random order throughout the day. Be flexible.
- Creating a new senate district organization. As a result of redistricting, you will help create the infrastructure of our new SD66 DFL The convention will spend some time discussing and voting on a constitution, voting for local officers (chair, vice-chair, secretary, treasurer, outreach officer), and members of the Central Committee
that we call Directors.
Frequently Asked Questions for Delegates/Alternates:
If you do not see your question below, you should also check out this expanded FAQ.
- What’s my expected level of involvement?
- Most delegates are happy to attend for the one day and go home. To get the most out of the day, you will want to be fully engaged in the convention proceedings: voting, listening, discussing, etc. Some folks will get more involved and will run to be delegates at other conventions, serve the local party as an officer or Central Committee Director, represent us on other DFL committees, etc.
- What time should I arrive?
- The convention will be called to order at 12:00 PM. We will begin checking people in at 10:30 AM. We are expecting hundreds of delegates, so give yourself plenty of time for parking, registering, finding a restroom, reading over materials, etc.
- Will we have assigned seats?
- You will sit with other delegates from your precinct in a designated area. Visitors and alternates will sit in their own area.
- Will food be available?
- No. Please plan to bring a snack if you wish.
- How long will the convention be?
- It could easily last several hours – be prepared.
- Is it free?
- We don’t charge admission, but we do pay to rent the space, pay for sound and light technicians, etc. Your contribution to help us cover our expenses will be gladly accepted. The suggested contribution is $10 per person. Cash encouraged.
- What’s this I hear about a walking subcaucus?
- If the delegates at our SD66 convention so choose, we will split up into subcaucuses when choosing delegates to the State and CD4 conventions. According to Wikipedia, “The walking subcaucus system is a method of proportional voting used in political party meetings to choose delegates to higher It is designed to ensure that people in the minority are able to elect delegates representing their views to the higher body, as opposed to plurality at-large voting, in which the majority may elect all the delegates from members of the majority viewpoint.”
- What should I bring?
- Your sunny personality; money to make a financial contribution; and a pen for marking ballots. Optional items include: a book, tablet, or smart phone to entertain yourself during any downtime; a water bottle; and a bag lunch or snacks.
- Should I have fun?